Re: [MV] 5 Ton Vehicle Transporter

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 12:47:21 PST

Ryan,

    I'd say that the tie-downs in/under the bed should work fine, provided they were of sufficient strength and were welded in properly (with enough reinforcement). I'd probably be tempted to mount some anchors to the frame somehow, too, just for good measure.

    The only other thing I would wonder about are the ramps themselves. They would have to be pretty long and awfully stout to hold those weights. The cargo bed of a M813 is 56" off the ground with 11.00x20's on it. I'm not sure about the super-singled trucks, but they're probably 3-4" higher. The ramps would have to be almost 10' long to achieve a 30° incline, which is pretty steep to me. It might not be too steep to climb, but you'll also have that breakover angle to clear with your vehicles at the top. Fortunately for you, with relatively short wheelbases, you can overcome sharper angles. It doesn't look like 30° approach angles are a problem for your vehicles.

    It definitely would be a cool site to see pulling into a rally.

    --Neil