Diesel Engine "Purr"

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 19:43:02 PST

      " That terrible noise is the fuel detonating ,
 as opposed to the near silently burning as with gasoline . The much higher
compression ratio {about 22:1 } "

     It seems like one of the few pleasures I get out of life is to hear a
diesel engine run! Everything I own is a diesel. A "real" diesel engine is
a good engine. (not converted gas engines) Just today I used my Isuzu NPR
with the turbo "H" engine and always like to hear it run, never turn on the
radio and never get tired of hearing it run. Some years back I rented a GMC
Top Kick with the 6 cylinder Cat engine to go across country. Many times I
turned off the radio (music was horrible and hearing the same things over
and over again with news too) and that Cat Turbo kept me company for much of
the way! I have talked to many truckers and others with diesels and they
seem to say the same things too. It's a phenomenon of how it runs that is
always a science fair project in reality! Every diesel has a signature
sound that make them unmistakeable when they pass by. Julian