Re: [MV] [MV]

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@charter.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 20:02:00 PST

Glenn and the group,

I too live in Maryland and out of curiosity looked up the state regulations,
not to flame but to see if in fact MD does prohibit these brakes. As you
stated, ". . . outlawed (I believe)" for commercial use."

There may be and probably are more (many, many more) regulations and laws
covering this than what I found.

In COMAR (COde of MAryland Regulations) the sections on vehicle inspections
allows for the inspection of hydraulic surge brakes on trailers built after
June 1, 1970 if the trailer is over 3,000-lbs. GVW. COMAR- (sorry, I
forgot to locate the authority section of law here) .11.14.05.04 (D) (2)

COMAR .11.14.05.04 (I) (3) allows for the use of hydraulic surge emergency
brakes to be inspected for the same trailers with the requirements that the
brakes be able to automatically and promptly operate for up to 15 minutes
after the trailer becomes disconnected from the towing vehicle.

This is, in no way meant to imply that other laws and regulations have made
the use of these brakes illegal. It just shows that the inspection process
allows for the inspection of these vehicles and of course the regulations
here could very well be out of date and just not deleted from the inspection
section.

Before I retired last year, the state agency that I was employed by used
many boat trailers and the larger ones had the surge type brakes on them.
Our vehicles, though not required to be inspected the same as any other new
vehicles in the state, were required to comply with the state and federal
laws if for no other reason than fear of employee law suits for injury while
operating vehicles/vessels that would normally be considered unsafe. Again,
to imply that the vehicles were always safe is rediculous at best.
Maintenance depended on the quality of the mechanics, the operators ability
and interest in the vehicle/vessels condition and of course the dollars in
the budget.

As for the brakes on larger trailers, over 10,000 GVW, the inspection
process has requirements for different types of brake systems. I will not
try to explain what these requirements are for the simple reason that I have
absolutely no idea of what I would be talking about. <grin>

Again, I hope that this is not taken as flaming as that is not my intention.
I just had nothing more interesting to do right now and decided to play with
the state regulations.

Have a great day,

Bill K.
MVPA #24623