Re: [MV] 5 Ton Vehicle Transporter

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 19:43:46 PST

At 7:16 PM -0800 12/4/03, Richard wrote:
>man, all I can tell ya is that 10' long ramps
>capable of safely supporting that thing, including
>the shock-loading when it backs off the bed, tilts
>through the air, and LANDS on the ramps...will
>be REALLY heavy. <g>

We'll you can drive them really slow. They've got
a 5mph low gear so they do track slowly.

One of the local MV guys has some 12' ramps.
We'll try his ferret on his 2.5 ton's bed and see
if they work.

>I drove a 7-ton Michigan wheel-loader up onto a
>tilt-bed truck this fall, cuz the winch didn't have
>enough oomph, and I'll tell ya, I did not enjoy it! <g>
>
>Had to have been 30 degrees....tires hanging over
>the deck-sides....yuck.

Try Driving a Bren carrier up on a low-boy
trailer over the wheels so that its 1st road
wheel is on the last platform of the trailer.
You're edging forwards relying on the spotter
with the road wheel 3' up in the air while you're
looking out forwards

>If it was me, I'd make those ramps the full length
>of your bed...i.e. as long as practical. I would also
>design them with a center support to the ground;
>and with VERY stout attachments where they hook
>to the bed-end. Good luck with it. What an impressive
>monster that'll be pulling into the fairgrounds <g>.

The two piece ones I'm looking at have a center
support at the attachment point. Think fo a ramp
that hinges one direction (upwards) and has a
longer than needed pin that fits into a leg or
two that is adjustable for ground height. Either
a screwjack of some sort or sleeved box section
legs with cotter pins for the height adjustments.

Thanks.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)