Re: [MV] deuce engine heater

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 06:39:06 PST

>Hi all, my turbo M35A2 does not have an engine heater. Anyone add an
>electric heater to theirs? Easiest place looks like the lower radiator hose,
>but I am not sure how well that would work. Freeze plug heater? Oil pan
>heater? Thanks in advance for your thoughts, and God bless. Gene

I've tried them all at one time or another. I personally prefer the core
plug type (freeze plug some say). I have them on all my diesels except the
deuce as I don't drive it in the winter anyway. There are several companies
that make them, they all have catalogs that list heaters by application as
well as a listing by size, Thermo-Start, Katz, and another who's name
escapes me at the moment. Best place is low in the block first and formost,
then if possible centered to some degree. I don't remember where the plugs
are on the deuce motor but I would think you should be able to find one that
is reasonably accessable. But if the above companies do not list that
particular appication then you will need to remove the plug first not only
to measure it but to look in the block to see what is behind it, some will
need to stick straight in some may need to be "L" shaped, depends on block
design.

Second choice is the tank type that perkolate and connect into the engine
using heater sized hose. If you have the cab heater then you can use one of
the taps from that or just find two plugs where you can tap in, one perhaps
in the head and one low somewhere, possibly even in the suction side of the
water pump (lower rad hose side that is). Important to keep the heater low,
the lower relative to the top most fitting the better. I had one of these on
an old Volvo that was tempermental in the cold, I got one for a V8 and put
on that little 1.8L four cylinder, that sucker would start moving the temp
gage up after a half hour or so, overkill perhaps but the car started much
better being warm.

good luck,

je