Re: [MV] M38A1

From: Thomas M McHugh (tmmchugh@msn.com)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 10:01:32 PST

Greg,

The hood numbers were not locked in stone. The factory numbered some &
units changed many, to suit the Commander. The M38A1 quite often have
numbers beginning with 209. My M38A1 had no existing numbers to use, so I
made my own. I used 209 & then the 20282 vehicle serial number.

Hood has: U. S. ARMY
                     20920282.

Stars are 6" on the body, not the hood.
I used a 17" Star on the hood.

My vehicle is numbered as my SCARWAF Engineer Aviation BN that I served with
in the Regular Army.
Front bumper passenger side 1902 EAB
Front bumper Drivers side C - 6

The Star on the hood is the most confusing. There are Stars with the point
to the front & back.
The size of the hood star, varies from 16" to 17" & 20".
The reference for vehicle marking are: TB 746-93-1 & AR 850-5

Unfortunately the references conflict with each other, since the M38A1 has
EARLY & LATER models.

After you decide what organization, what unit & what period of time you wish
to represent, then the numbering can be explained.

Is your M38A1 an early model ??? Does it have the split front fender &
the hinged hood ???

Hope this helped a little. When you get closer, get in touch again.

Tom McHugh, NJ
1952 M38A1
M-416 Trailer
MVPA, MTA