Re: [MV] multi-fuel crankcase oil type

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 05:56:41 PST

The oil analysis kit may be purchased from a truck service dealer. I got one
from a Cat engine dealer in Mt Airy, NC, some time ago. It cost $24.50 and
that includes return shipping charges and lab analysis.
My report included the following (value in parenthesis is ppm):
Cu(9),Fe(104),Cr(13),Pb(13),Al(16),Si(7),Mo(0),Na(4),Sn(6),Zn(1116)and K(1)

For the oil data:
Texaco 30 weight: ST(142),OXI(72), SUL(76), NIT(150),A(N),W(N),F(N)and
V100(10.2) where W=water, F=fuel, A=antifreeze, ST=soot, SUL=sulfation,
OXI=oxidation, NIT=nitration and V100=viscosity.

Comments: Iron and Crome are elevated and may be cylinder block and piston
wear. Al and Si are elevated and may be dirt entry. Soot is elevated.
Suggest change oil and filters.

The time from taking the sample to receiving the report was about one week.

I think it’s a great way to keep track of engine maintenance!

Cheers,
Bjorn
MVPA 19212
Meadows of Dan, Virginia