Re: [MV] Changing Tires

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 05:15:21 PST

Does anyone else have the gear wrench? It's cheaper
than a 3/4 impact and it hasn't failed me yet. I
bought mine for $25 but on ebay I've seen them go for
$100 plus.

Right or wrong I've been using anti-seize on many
lugnuts and haven't lost a wheel yet. Maybe I've been
lucky. I've heard the theory that the rotation of the
wheel keeps the lugnuts tight and I dissagree because
the lugnuts and the axle have a different axis of
rotation. On something like a spindle nut I would
agree.

In regards to air ratchets and loose lugnuts I was
working at a car dealership when I was sent out on a
wrecker call to haul back a pickup that lost it's
front wheel. This pickup was 3 miles away from the
shop and just left after we put new tires on it.
Turns out the mechanic used a torque limiting stick
and a 1/2 impact wrench was standard procedure at the
time but what he didn't know was one of the
compressors was down and the remaining unit couldn't
keep up a 90 psi air supply. The truck sustained very
serious damage to the drivers fender, and door as well
as the suspension and brake systems. This event
prompted a new policy of using a real torque wrench.
We also got a new air compressor.

Marc

--- "Paul A. Thomas" <bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com>