Re: [MV] Is this the land of the free??

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 19:05:07 PST

Let's take one of the latter points first: In New York State, there is
state law that governs how town law and village law works. It's sort of:
the state allows the lower governments latitude, but reigns them in when
they step over the line.

Your local government has stepped over the line, obviously. At any
government meeting, if it is being conducted according to any common set of
parliamentarian-type rules, there is a time on the agenda when anyone from
the general audience can speak on any matter. Your constitutional right to
be heard is being infringed upon. Check with the state's attorney's office
on how they regulate town meetings.

Then there is the obvious changing of zoning law, concerning height, area,
and usage. N Y State law is clear, and says that local zoning laws cannot be
changed arbitrarily, without a general referendum, because what will happen,
is what happened to you: a small group can use their own agenda to change
things.

Further, in NY State, if a municipality wants to restrict any class or
weight of traffic, they must get approval from the state, and they must show
a rational argument for the proposed change or restriction. Your
registration is a state one, as is your privilege to drive. Reduce this law
to its absurd extent: Can a tractor-trailer full of household goods not
deliver to a new household? Can an oil truck not deliver fuel? Can a
honey-wagon not come down the street to pump out a septic system that needs
maintenance? Can a dump truck full of blacktop not come down your street to
build a new driveway for a neighbor? Are there not garbage trucks,
streetlight repair trucks, lighting company trucks, with three axles doing
business on your block? etc etc etc. When you find that the law (or any
law) is being enforced selectively, you have won the first battle. Juries
love to hear the complaint "selective enforcement"

Proactive suggestion: Contact the local ACLU, as distasteful as that may
sound. You would be surprised, actually, whom they will defend when they
feel that there is a potentially damaged party. Get a lawyer. It seems that
several of your rights are being trampled upon. Contact the American
Legion, VFW, Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, any group of people who can
wield a little influence on your behalf. Get the local chapter of the MVPA
to hold a parade and rally, with the entire state of Michigan's M35's in the
line of march. I know exactly the BS that you are faced with, as I live in a
small town myself. It is only through constant vigilance that your battle
will be won. DO NOT WAIT for the other shoes to fall.

I am not a lawyer, but I met one once, and I made him cry.

A P Bloom