RE: [MV] some background on: Is this the land of the free??

From: M. Thirtyseven (m37greenbeast@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 07:25:40 PST

No multi axle trucks on streets at any time.. guess nobodys gonna be moving
in or out of your town with a large moving truck anytime soon eh? Grocers
will just love to trek to the village limits to pick up stock too...

>From: "Bill & Bonnie Prestin" <bprestin@chartermi.net>
>Subject: [MV] some background on: Is this the land of the free??
>Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:21:18 -0500
>
>Ok, here are the particulars for those of you who are interested. The town
>(Village) I live in is less than 2000 people. There were two ordinance
>sections I had questions about, and ask the council. Here they are:
>
>40.03 Sec. 3.1 Parking of vehicles greater than (two) axles that are not
>owned by the village is prohibited on all paved streets and village owned
>parking lots. The council may permit and designate parking at the
>aforementioned locations by resolution.
>
>40.07 Large over the road trucks: prohibited in residential areas. Sec. 9.
>the operation of large double bottom trucks, 16 wheel trucks, all semi-
>tractor trailer trucks, and all other large over the road vehicles are
>prohibited on residential streets of the village, at all times, and signs
>shall be erected on the effective residential streets.
> The use of these large trucks is prohibited unless they are emergency
>vehicles, repair and service vehicles, repair vehicles for public
>utilities,
>and / or moving and delivery vehicles.
>
>Here is how the meeting went. I had previously filled out the form so I
>could speak at the meeting. Each council member had a copy. On the form I
>said:
>"Bill Prestin, Main street, seeking a vote for an exception to the
>proposed
>ordinance 40.03 & 40.07 for licensed historic vehicles."
>
>I made out a handout showing two photos of my truck in the previous 4th of
>July parade and attached a copy of the definition of "historic vehicles"
>from my states Secretary of state(the licensing office in Michigan) to show
>how the use of "historic vehicles" is restricted to events and club
>activities. Each council member also got a copy of these,
>
>The meeting goes like this: I will write these off the copy of minutes I
>have from the meeting I attended. I'll skip the extra stuff:
>
>1) call to order.
>2) They approve the meeting minutes from the previous meeting
>3) Roll call
>4)safety protocol (I don't know what this is)
>5) Public comment, time limit of 5 minutes each.
>Then I said this: (I had typed it earlier, so as to be prepared)
>"I came tonight because I had some questions about proposed ordinance 40.03
>& 40.07. Can you tell me how they would be applied and if they would apply
>to my vehicles? What I have is: two antique trucks with more than two
>axles.
>One is a 1952 Studebaker, the other is a 1953 Diamond T. They are both
>licensed as Michigan Historical vehicles. I show them in car shows and
>drive
>them in parades. * See attached flyer from the Michigan secretary of state*
>
>If these don't apply to me, great! Can it be documented in the minutes and
> [...]

Tired of slow downloads and busy signals? Get a high-speed Internet
connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com