Re: [MV] deuce lug nuts

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 09:10:18 PST

         I would use a portable air reservoir common to most gas station
with the truck providing the air source. 90 lbs. should be plenty but
remember you must use a 3/4 inch air line to provide enough volume of
compressed air to run the wrench at it's rated power. 1/2 inch air lines
don't cut it for 3/4" and 1" impact guns. I wouldn't go less than a 3/4"
gun for a Deuce but would prefer a 1". A 1/2" gun you describe will do the
job but the 3/4" and particularly the 1" gun will do it much easier using a
lot less compressed air.

         A hand torque wrench to final torque the nuts without over
tightening isn't difficult once you learn how to safely use them. If your a
lightweight, no problem........use a torque multiplier.

         The Railroad Industry uses torque multipliers all the time when
doing cylinder head replacement or main bearing, connecting rod cap work.
They are expensive to buy on the civilian side but certainly the Military
uses them somewhere hence they should be available surplus. The ones I've
seen used on the RR input around 400-600 Ft. Lb. output 1800 Ft. Lb. There
are always ways around trying to give yourself a double hernia.

Jim

At 09:37 PM 12/11/2003, Amnon wrote:
>OK, so the Deuce will not operate the 1" impact wrench. Will it operate this
>one, and does anybody have any experience with this size wrench? What is this
>Standard bolt capacity: 5/8" thing?
>
>http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2623
>
>Shalom Ya'll
>Amnon Nissan