HMMWV suspension help?

From: ke6myk@sbcglobal.net
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 11:24:21 PST

Hi. I'm having some trouble working on my HMMWV's rear suspension. I'm
trying to convert the truck from the regular cargo configuration to a
communications shelter carrier. It's my understanding that the shelter
carrier configuration has a different (heavy-duty) rear suspension
configuration than the regular M998 cargo trucks. According to my
parts manual, the rear end's lower control arms, lower ball joints,
shock absorbers and springs are different, but the upper control arms,
upper ball joints, upper spring seats and the frame crossmembers on
which the lower control arms mount are the same.

I've ordered new replacement parts using the part numbers in the -20P
manual, but I can't figure out how to get it all together. The
heavy-duty springs are about one turn longer than the regular springs.
I can't see any significant difference between the old and new control
arms. With the longer springs, the suspension just doesn't seem to fit
together. Here are some pictures:

    http://nf6x.net/tmp/p1000132.jpg
    http://nf6x.net/tmp/p1000219.jpg
    http://nf6x.net/tmp/p1000222.jpg

Can anybody help me figure out what's wrong here? Maybe there's an
error in the parts manual or I missed something, and the upper spring
seats need to be replaced, too. The same could go for the frame
crossmembers. Maybe I was shipped the wrong control arms. Maybe I just
need to compress that monster spring a lot more, though I don't see
how I can do that with a jack.

Any help from the HMMWV experts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/