M998 Shunt

From: LAWRENCE TIGHE (larryradio@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 11:26:54 PST

Cleaning up the battery box of my M998, I noticed that the negative lead
goes through a shunt to ground. What is the purpose of this shunt? Does it
"speak" to the alternator regulator circuit to adjust field voltage? Can't
think of any other purpose. I've seen these shunts on eBay but didn't know
where they went in the "998".

I was thinking I could put a voltmeter across the shunt and calibrate it to
amperes drawn off the battery....but would probably pin the meter when
starting.

TIA,

Lar
NJ