Re: [MV] M1009 electrical

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 11:24:32 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Amnon" <amnon@deltaforce.net>
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] M1009 electrical

> Anything else to look at other than the Alternator then, if a meter on the
front
> battery shows no charging when the engine is running, and GEN 1 light is
faintly
> on?
> The GEN 1 light will glow a little brighter when the lights are turned on,
and
> right away go back to faint when the engine is revved up. I remember
loosing a
> belt while driving and the GEN 1 light came on bright. Does the fact that
the
> light goes almost out mean that the alternator is charging but the
connection is
> broken on the way to the battery?

You could have a poor connection at one of the battery terminals or at the
alternator itself - especially ground to the block. Failing that, the
dim-light thing is, I think, usually a result of letting the smoke out of a
diode somewhere, which means you're back to doing something with the
alternator. I've replaced the regulators and the diode trio on a few of
them and had them work (one was actually a broken brush lead wire), and you
can usually readily find that stuff from your local auto parts place. Worth
a try if you have some time.

> Is there a regulator outside somewhere or is it built in?

Inside. It's the white 'ceramic' looking device which the two-conductor
Molex plug connects to at the top of the alternator.