Re: [MV] Diesel driving characteristics? M1009 6.2l

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 11:46:39 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stu" <stuinnh@comcast.net>
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Diesel driving characteristics? M1009 6.2l

> Hi!
> It has a passing gear if you hit it just right. If not and bogging down,
it
> could be the trans or modulator on the injection pump that tell trans what
> to do. If it bad and you keep driving it, it ruins the trans. My
modulator
> was bypassed by DRMO to move the truck and burnt the trans. Up. Got
rebuilt
> one from John Woods in Florida $400 FOB.

The VRVs are notorious for developing body leaks as they get older too
(that'd be the plastic thing attached to the side of the injector pump with
hoses sticking out of it for anyone who doesn't know what I'm going on
about.) I've had four fail already. The usual giveaway is that you have to
keep adjusting it to keep your shift-points within the realm of reality
until one day you just can't adjust it anymore. You can usually tell with a
vacuum guage if you take a reading on either side of the VRV and find a
dramatic difference. I've noticed on a bunch of the DRMO Can-Point trucks
that the VRV seems to be among the first things robbed off the engines
(along with the vacuum pump), so I guess the military figured out they fail
quite a bit too. New ones from the dealer were about $CAN 65.00 when I last
had to buy one, I think.

You should also check your vacuum hoses because an awful lot of them I've
seen are pretty crispy wherever they've been exposed to any sort of heat or
repeated chemical assault (like..everywhere), but shift problems caused by
system leaks will show up as high-revving/late-shifting rather than
'bogging'. If it's shifting too early, that would likely be a simple VRV
adjustment problem, and if you have a look at the thing itself, it's easy to
see how they adjust. Can't remember which direction is early and which
late, but it'll soon become apparent when you test-drive it.

(VRV = "Valve, Transmission Vacuum Regulator - GM Part No. 14057219")