Gray oil

From: Duane Burris (zburris@qwest.net)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 13:15:38 PST

I am looking at a piece of equipment to purchase. The machine looks ok
except the engine oil seems thin and is grayish in color (The oil is the
color of the scum you wipe off the magnetic drain plug when you change
oil). Doesn't look like any water in the oil that I've seen before --
not brownish, no indication of moisture on the dip stick or anywhere I
can readily check. The oil does not have any diesel smell.

Unfortunately, logistics prevent the possibility of having an oil
analysis done.

Any ideas?