Re: [MV] My Deuce stalling after idling / running for a while.

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 14:20:20 PST

         Presuming the fuel pump is working why not just replace all three
fuel filters (we ARE talking about the M-35A2 Series here aren't we?) and
then turn the accessory switch on and bleed the air from the last filter
before the injection pump. This of course presumes the electric fuel pump
on top of the tank is working and actually pumps fuel instead of just
making " I'm making pumping noise but nothing comes out ". And speaking of
that it might not be a bad idea to pull the electric pump from the tank and
see if the slip on filter that covers the intake pipe actually still
exists. If it still exists it might very well be plugged. They have been
known to dissolve into " Where did the filter go? it was there when I
installed the pump 12 years ago " ?

         If you open fuel cover on fuel tank (when it's really cold like
near zero or slightly above) and your Deuce won't start BUT you have access
to 115V AC current (electricity) and you remove momentarily the Spout (?)
so you can see inside the fuel tank with a flashlight and you see what
looks like WAX, whitish clumpy yucky stuff other than liquid Diesel fuel
that's supposed to be in there all is not lost. Take 2x4 or otherwise handy
device for supporting electrical light socket which you stick a floodlight
inside it around 100 watt or so, preferably the heat type bulb. the spring
loaded clamp reflector light device will work in a pinch. Get the
floodlight as close to the fuel tank bottom as possible but not further
away that two inches if possible and plug it in and let the heating begin.
One hour later you should be able to stick your fingers in the fuel and
feel WARM FUEL!!! Now turn accessory switch on and start truck and let it
warm up so it can continue to provide heat to the fuel tank via the
returned fuel that the engine didn't burn. You may have to cover the front
of the radiator from the outside to help it warm up quicker....just don't
forget to remove temporary radiator cover before you hit the road. There is
a way if you stick a coil of garden hose ( bout four feet just enough to
lay one length on bottom or under fuel level )....connect hook up end onto
hot water spigot and make sure other end of hose is OUTSIDE the fuel tank.
Ten mi9nutes of hot water through the hose will liquify the fuel so it will
flow. I know I know it sounds daffy but it works.

Jim

At 05:51 PM 12/16/2003, Recovry4x4@aol.com wrote:
>Certainly sounds like a filter problem to me. Call me anal but I change the
>primary then start the truck and run it for a few minutes the do the same for
>the secondary and then the final.
>
>Kenneth Engle
>Loxahatchee FL
>71 A.M. General M35A2