LEAD ADDITIVE

From: bolton8@juno.com
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 19:46:41 PST

                I've got a question for our knowledgeable experts on internal
combustion engines. All WWII and most M-series engines prior to the
1980's were made to be run on leaded gas. Since the late-80's leaded
gas has ceased to exist at the corner pumps.

                I have been told by local MV members that running unleaded gas in older
engines causes serious damage to the valves, such as increased deposits,
excessive seat wear, and overheated valves. Thus I have been told to
purchase cans of Lead Substitute and add it to the tank each fill up.

                My question is: Just how serious of a problem is unleaded gas to our
older engines ? And how much lead additive should be mixed with 20 to
25 gallons of unleaded fuel ?

LANCE MVPA 22125