Re: [MV] In tank fuel pump fuse

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 19:29:08 PST

>....The autoignition temperature at standard atmosheric pressure is very high,
>I'd guess 1800 degF or so, gasoline is something like 900 to 1200 degF.

OK, I lied. I couldn't resist looing into this more. Gasoline is in the
range of 900 degF but diesel and kerosene are in the range of 800 deg F, the
auto ignition temperature that is.

So what all this means is that any diesel fuel in a tank, that is at
atmospheric pressure, must be hotter than 113degF for there to be vapor
present such that an ignition source hotter than 800degF could ignite it.
Now if you change the pressure, that changes everything.

later,

je