M52A2 5 ton stuff for free in Seattle area

From: J (W7LS@blarg.net)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 17:23:47 PST

    I have a M52A2 that I stripped for the parts I wanted and now I'll
give it to whoever will come take it away. I will have a clear Form 97
as soon as GL sends it to me. It rolls and is towable, but is missing
lots of stuff. Some of the missing stuff is:
motor, tranny, front fenders, brake booster, cab top, doors, fuel tanks,
dash instruments, steering wheel, radiator, lights, etc, etc. It could
be resurected to a working 5 ton tractor if you have another one for
parts. It would take lots of parts, and a lot of work. To me, it's parts
on-the-hoof.
    What IS there is in good shape (exclusive of a couple of tires that
are beyond hope). This tractor was apparently not used very much. No
idea of actual miles on it, but I'm guessing it was only used a little,
from the condition of the drivetrain, 5th wheel, lack or rust, etc. The
5th wheel still has the original machining marks on it. Some of the
stuff that is still there is:
all but one wheel(tires vary from poor to fair), power steering stuff
(stuck, for some reason), cab (not the top, though), transfer case,
drivelines, all 3 axles, front bumper (with tow eyes), grill, passenger
seat (no driver's seat), hood, rear fenders, ditty-boxes, running
boards, exhaust system, front sidepanels that go between hood and
fenders, windshield frame and one cracked window.
    Very little, if any, rust anywhere. The front bumper has been
smacked. Not too bad. Could be straightened. No frame damage, because
this is not the original fender and this vehicle was not hit. I got this
vehicle specifically for parts I needed, and now it needs to move along.
If nobody wants it I'll just tow it to a junkyard. I don't have any time
available to remove and sell any individual parts, right now. If you
want it, you have to show up with something to tow it with or haul it
on. The steering is disconnected because something in the power steering
is frozen and I don't have time to dig into it. I towed it 70 miles with
the steering totally free. We cranked a little bit of toe-in into it and
it tracked perfectly. In fact, I did some full lock turns back and forth
before hitting the road and it tracked perfectly. No problem on the
freeway, either.
    I'm located about 25 miles east of Seattle. This was apparently a
perfectly good tractor before the military decided to sell it off. The
tag on it said the reason for selling it was that the radiator had a
leak and there was excessive blowby in the engine. The engine actually
showed good compression. Radiator was missing. Dunno what they were
thinking, but it looks like they were looking for an excuse to start
parting it out. Again, this is free, but you have to take it all. I'm
going to try to do battle with the internet and post some pictures, but
don't hold your breath. Contact me directly, off-list, if interested.
Thanks. Jim W7LS@blarg.net