Re: [MV] 6x6 wanted...reply...(long)

From: Greg (czechsix@cox.net)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 21:29:57 PST

I guess I'd qualify for the comparison.

I'm familiar with the Unimog S, the 406/407/409/419, and models from the
U1300 up. Also played a bit with the 411 and 401's. I've owned 404 S's, and
406's. Ran a Unimog newsletter and registry. Test driven U1300 and U2450L38.
Not to mention Tatra,Liaz, etc.

The last Unimog S I had was used primarily for field work, and had
approximately 12,000 miles put on it by me before I sold her. Probably a
85/15 split between road and dirt miles, with many of the road miles being
freeway.

I've had my M35A2 (LDT465 1D) for just less than a year, and so far have 600
or so miles on her.

I'm 6'2", 225, so factor that in to your equations too - as APB mentioned,
it makes a difference.

I'm assuming (yeah, I know, dangerous) that you're talking about the Unimog
S. It makes quite a bit of difference when you're dealing with Unimogs, as
to operator comfort, maintenance, and costs.

Both designs are basically 1950's tech - simple and robust. Both designs
are for tactical trucks - primarily used in off road situations, with the on
road usage being compromised.
Both designs, it seems to me, were predicated on people that were smaller
than folks today :). Both cabs have their minuses for large people, with
the Unimog being slightly worse, in my view. The Unimog has just adequate
space for the driver, and miserable space for the passenger. Long distance
trips for passengers in 'mogs aren't too amusing, and for the driver, well,
the back of your right elbow gets a workout as you slam it into the back of
the cab every so often while going through the gears. The M35 has a
steering wheel that's at a crummy angle, not giving much space for the
driver, plus the leverage as compared to a regular truck (with a more
horizontal steering wheel setup) is worse. Cab space in the M35 is much
better for the co-driver, plus the driver has the option of a suspended
seat.

Ride characteristics on the road are pretty similiar - both trucks ride more
nicely than one would expect. I commonly had a cup of coffee sitting next to
the radiator tank on the 'mog, while driving on the freeway, and it wouldn't
"walk" off of the dash - pretty smooth ride. The M35 has more vibration, so
I can't do that trick, but it's still not a real problem. Noise levels on
both trucks are high, but with some work they're quite bearable. For a
smoother ride, carry a ton or so in either truck. You won't notice a
difference in acceleration, but it'll ride much nicer.

Easy of operation is similiar too, both trucks being manual sticks, shift on
the fly, etc. Neither one has power steering, and both feel similiar to me.
I've got the standard 9.00x20's on the M35 now, and on the Unimog S's I've
had anything from 10.50x20 to 14.00x20 tires (yep, 14.00x20's). With both
trucks, proper tire inflation is critical.

One of the major differences comes from the power plants - with the Unimog
S, the power comes on pretty high in the rpm range, so winding them up is
common. The M35 has a Diesel, which makes a hell of a lot more sense in a
truck than an automotive gas engine. Much better low end grunt.

The Unimog S is built much lighter than the M35. I think this stems from a
basic difference in driver training and techniques, from two different
philosophies. The M35 will take more abuse than the Unimog. Even the sheet
metal is sturdier.

Maintenance costs for the M35 are, in general, less than the Unimog S, even
factoring in tires and fuel. In addition, engine access on the M35 is much
better than the Unimog, so that normal maintenance is less of a hassle. No
situation like that #1 sparkplug on the 'mog.

Brake sytems are the same idea - air over hydraulic, single line. The M35
has a better compressor, and can tow more in the real world. Both are 24V.

Trannies on the 'mog are somewhat fragile, at least compared to the M35.
Also, the integrated tranny/xfer case on the mog is nice - as long as
nothing's wrong with it. The M35, with its divorced xfer case, is a bit more
fixable and modifiable.

But, being a 6x6, the deuce has a few more things to go wrong. A few more
tires to go flat, etc. But to balance it, it doesn't have hub trannies, etc.
Not to mention those extra tires can be looked at as working spares.

Personally, I'd rate the Unimog as a great truck, more capable in a pure off
road situation, but more lightly built. Good for the light duty job,
recreational off road, light loads off road, and for the pure fun of owning
one. I had great fun with mine, but if I own another one, it'll be at least
a U1300.

The M35 is a bit more of a work truck, not quite as good off road, but
heavier duty. Parts are more easily available for it, and usually somewhat
cheaper than for the Unimog.

I opted for the M35A2 in the end.

What it all boils down to is what you intend to use it for, how comfortable
you are in maintaining your own toys, and on and on.

Regards,
Greg