Another M35 HOME !!

From: Willie McClain (wiandci@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 08:31:28 PST

HI all, Got my M35 home on Monday. Picked mine up form the Richmond, VA
site. I only had about 6 miles to drive mine to get it home. The guys that
work that site are real nice. I asked if they would give me a jump start and
they said no problem. Me and a friend of mine drove down there about 9:00 am
with some tools and 5 gallons of fuel. The site guy jumped in about 3 deuces
till he found one that would start. We hooked the jumper cables up and my
truck started right up. It was warm that day, in the 50's. We let it run
about a half hour to let the batteries charge up in case it stalled on the
way home. The site guy answered a lot of questions I had since this is my
first Military vehicle. It had about a half tank of fuel so I didn't put in
what I brought. With the air presser up I drove around the lot about 3 times
to make sure the brakes and all worked. Then I drove it down to the site
building to sign for it and get my form to get a title. The only thing that
happened on the way home was the door on the box that's on the back flew
open and we had to pull over and close it. There's a cotter pin that holds
the latch and it was out. After I got it home I shut it off and tried to
start it and it started right back up. But the next day it was dead again. I
took the batteries out and cleaned the post and swapped the front to the
back. They are showing 12.30 volts separate and 24.20 when I connected them
back up. I put my 24 volt charger on them for the night and this morning
they are still charging. If they are any good shouldn't they be charged by
now ? Called and got Ins and then off to the DMV. That's where the problems
started ! They said they couldn't transfer the title because they listed the
year as unknown and didn't have all the vin numbers. I took the tag off the
dash with me with all the vin numbers but that wasn't good enough for them.
DMV said all the info has to be on the paper gl gives you. So now I'm
waiting to hear back from gl. I faxed them a copy of my tag so they can
print me another form. Is the year of the truck stamped on it anywhere ? The
tag on the dash has a contract # and it has DAAE 06 70 C 0001. Does that
mean it is a 1970 ? It's made by General products Division. Thanks to
everybody that's answered all my questions on air tools and changing tires
etc. Merry XMAS to all ! I'm going back outside to sit and drool over my new
toy !!!!!