FW: [MV] trailer brakes

From: Glenn Shaw (wolf.star@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 16:12:38 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Shaw [mailto:wolf.star@verizon.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 7:12 PM
To: 'everette'
Subject: RE: [MV] trailer brakes

Hi Everette
Most mil trailers like the M105 etc do not have Spring Type Emergency
brakes or Maxi's. There will be no braking on a breakaway trailer like
that. Some larger Mil trailers that are towed behind a tractor do have
them.

Electric Breakaway controllers can be had at any RV place. They consist
of a small cable that attaches to the towing truck which is pulled when
the trailer breaks free. It activates a switch which turns on the power
from a small gell cell battery that operates the trailer brakes for a
short time. The whole thing looks like a little box that you mount on
the trailer up near the coupler.

A lot of the hydraulic surge type couplers now have breakaway activation
devices also which lock the brakes as the trailer is breaking away from
the tow vehicle.

Glenn
MVPA