RE: [MV] M101A2 - couple Questions

From: Kevin E. Silva (keszr1@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 19:27:46 PST

Mr Ron;
You brought a smile to my face along with hitting a nerve as well. I
really love the light hearted quality that exists here. Its something
I've missed since drifiting away from my old ZR1 group after the birth
of my first child. Thank you.

After driving a CJ5 for nearly 20 years I never fathomed that there were
groups that harbor, protect and cherish military cast offs. Though my
CJ was a civi when new - over the years after the body passed on it did
transform into a glass body with a desert camo design - and that was
well before any of the Gulf conflicts came to pass.

My CJ and I regretfully parted ways a few years back. My back was
really bothering me and for some reason the darn space between the door
hump and the steering wheel kept shrinking whenever she got wet. IT was
getting harder and harder to get in and drive. My wife kept insisting
that I was just getting old and fat but what the h*ck does she now
anyway.

Over the years I was getting into warmer, quiter, smoother, faster etc
etc. - but I always missed my jeep and yes - always loved the Humvee
that the military adopted after the CJ was retired.

When the H2 came out I just parted with all my toys to get one. To me
it was a luxury version of my jeep. I haven't had it too long - but I
can say that I do think I'm falling in love with the megabuck POS (piece
of sh_t). Fit and finish aren't too good, squeaks allot - but aside
from all that - its nice - I'd just expect more (fit and finish) from
something in that price range.

So in parting with my pickups part of the defense was I'd get a trailer.
A friend recommended surplus. A friendly fellow more knowledgeable
recommended the 101A2 as the perfect compliment.
Short version - I found one - it is - I love it - needs some cleaning up
and some doo dads - but its cool - real cool.

So MR Rons - 10-4 on that issue of the trailer being nicer than the tow
rig. I actually agree with that . Maybe you all will teach me enough
here that I can really end up with a humvee somewhere down the road -
now that would really be a dream come true for me.

Heck reading these posts is getting me all fired up. I keep reading
about these M35's and other HD equipment and my brain is spinning. I'm
pretty sure they have about three old deuces just hanging around near
work - now when I get back from vacation I think an inquiry is due.

This could be one very dangerous place for me to be luking around.
Thank you all again.

Oh and BTW - color - no way would I change the color of the trailer.

I'd gladly accept some guidance as to locating some proper paint too!!!
When I get time - I have a couple spots and an undercarriage that could
use some sprucing up. Plus the brackets for the top need scraping and
painting ASAP. I may consider replacing the wood on the bows while
doing it - though they seem to be in OK shape. Just need a top and a
spare rim (another lead gladly accepted).

IT does look nice behind that H2 FWIW.

As far as the H2 turned green. I'm not laughing <G> - were it any other
color than the orange........ in a heart beat. You see - I was trying
to hold out - trying to wait for a diesel version to come along - then
all of a sudden I found out they discontinued the orange -that was all
she wrote - I had to act. After all - everyone knows that a good
Portuguese has to have at least one orange, bright green , or bright
yellow car in their stable <g>

Oh - and Ron - where can I learn more about this flea market your
talking about - sounds like something my young ones should get to see.

Kevin E. Silva
2003 Sunset Orange H2
2000 Volvo VNL 770
NCM - #4738
ICQ# - 18873747

SNIP

>. I picked one up for $20 or so
> last summer at an HMV Rally/Flea Market. (One coming up in March at
Lowell,
> MA VFW).

SNIP

>This would allow you to keep the mil look but use on both
> civilian vehicles and mil vehicles and HMMWVs when you move up to one
( or
> 2, or.....). You will, you know. Tail wagging the dog type of thing or
in
> your case, the trailer shameing the H2 sorta, kinda like, wannabe
HMMWV into
> the correct thing to tow the M101A2 with.....
> ;-)
> BTW..... (GASP!!!!) you're not thinking of changing the color of
the
> M101A2 to Sunset Orange are you? How about changing the color of the
H2 to