M1009 electric ?

From: Dave (gpw1942@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 07:08:13 PST

Hi all,
Yes, I know we have covered CUCV electric about 1000 time before, but I
always said it couldn't happen to me......
It did.
My problem
After a 2 hour trip back to NY with a 75mm pack howitzer in tow, I
parked on the armory floor and turned off the M1009. Much to my
amazement and horror, the oil and gen 1 (bottom left light) came on
dimly. I reinserted the key and started the truck but they both got
brighter. I checked the oil, full. I turned her off again.
We proceeded to unhitch and stow the howitzer. I then decided to saddle
up and head back to NJ, hoping to at least make it through the tunnel.
When I started her up, the oil light went out, but the gen 1 light got
brighter the higher the revs. Also the volt meter was in mid green
territory not the usual line between green and red. It did however creep
up to the he line between green and red as the revs increased.
She made it all the way home, about 2 hours with traffic. By the time I
pulled into my driveway, the volt meter stayed in one the line between
the green and red. I measured volts at each and between both batteries
and got 15 and 30 volts respectfully.
So, since the generators seem to be working alright, is it possible a
relay is stuck somewhere in the closed position making the gen 1 light
stay on? Any recommendations for things to check for? Gen 1 is the one
on the passanger side correct?
Thanx.
Dj