Re: [MV] SUSV ride....

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 10:47:17 PST

Here is some info off the top of my head. Engine and fuel are in the
front section with rear powered from front via drive shaft. Rear uses
hydraulic steering/stabilizers so articulated steering is possible. The
two sections are not designed to be seperated (a big drawback for
transporting IMHO due to length). They are amphibious using the tracks
for propulsion. The vehicle is designed for use on all forms of soft
terrain, such as snow, sand, marsh, etc. using single piece rubber tracks
(I assume some steel embeded in the tracks for strength).

It comes in a variety of models, with the big differences being what type
of "trailer" it uses. The standard general purpose one is an enclosed
pod. There is also a flatbed model along with various special purpose
models for things like communications. An armored version has been
available for several years now, but I don't think the US Army ever had one.

The BV-206s I have seen in use with the Brits in Iraq all appear to be
the standard unarmored troop/cargo type. I know the Royal Marines had a
bunch of them in use there, not sure about other units.

Steve