Re: [MV] MV 5 ton electric and other modifications?

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 01 2004 - 05:51:18 PST

I love relays! They are extremly rugged devices and properly
specified/selected will outlast your vehicle in most applications. Just look
at those beautiful relays found in your vitage radios and intercom systems.
They are used in aircraft, space craft and in every automobile on the road
today.
A good relay is, however, 50 or more times as expensive as the average
transistor.
A good relay has nearly zero voltage drop across its contacts and achieves
perfect isolation when off. A transistor or hexfet does not.
If the load is short circuited the relay will allow a circuit breaker to
trip. The unprotected transistor with blow like a fuse. The transistor will
have to be well protected in the automotive environment to survive....
I'm a relay fan, always have been.
Happy New Year!
Bjorn
MVPA 19212
Meadows of Dan, Virginia

1968 M49A2C (w/HIAB crane instead of 1200 gal tank) with relays.
1953 M37 with relays.

>From: m35products <m35prod@optonline.net>
>Subject: Re: [MV] MV 5 ton electric and other modifications?
>Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:22:28 -0500
>
>Relays in a dirty, vibrating truck/trailer environment will not be
>reliable.
>Electronics (you've heard of them?) are the way to go for an elegant,
>reliable solution that will work under all conditions, whether for "combat,
>work or play." (sm)

Get reliable dial-up Internet access now with our limited-time introductory
offer. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup