OIL QUESTION FOR AN M35A2

From: AVarvarigo@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 17:03:47 PST

Hi guys, me again. This time I have a dumb question re engine oil in a LD-465-1C engine. Correct me if I am wrong but the books say to use 30 weight straight oil. Lots of guys suggested to change to 15W-40 diesel engine oil, and local stores stock it. Usually in 1 gallon containers.
Then I was told that for low mileage usage, the 30 weight might be better. I was thinking in the spring to dump the oil, which should be straight 30 now, (came with the truck) and put the 15W-40, along with new filters.
However for local small rides though, I keep checking the oil now and then and sometimes I am short a quart or two.
I went to a few local places and looked for 30 weight oil, because that's what I need until I change it, but they only seem to have HD30 Castrol, or similar brand, but for a gasoline engine and none for diesels. Can I use it? I did put some in once.
I am only topping off what's in the engine now.
It seems that they only stock 15W-40 for diesels..
If I can't use the HD30 I found, any suggestions on how to get some of what I need?
Thank you
Tony