Re: [MV] OIL QUESTION FOR AN M35A2

From: Ray Fougnier (rfougnier@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 17:28:29 PST

Where you live is important. In Detroit, it's in the low teens outside
and I sure would not want to start it with 30. I asked a oil engineer
at work (Ford) about this and his response was to go modern with a multi
vis made for diesels. More specifically, he said the high temp
viscosity has to have the same shear strength as the 30 weight and the
low side needs to be close to the specified 10 weight that the govt.
uses in these trucks. Before I got around to checking the shear numbers
between the 30 wt and various multi-vis., I checked with truck service
place that said if they did the job, they would use a diesel rated
15W-40. They do that year round for all diesels they work on. Since
15w-40 was the one that the engineer was thinking about, and our
Powerstrokes use it, I figure it must be right for our trucks too.

All I can add, is that if you want to get technical, look up those shear
  numbers for the oils and decide for yourself. I bet on the popular
choice being correct without going any further. That 30 wt is like tar
at these temps!