Re: [MV] OIL QUESTION

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 16:03:32 PST

     Regarding this claim about Rotella oil eating up bearings. I would
like to know where this person got this info. No one and I mean NO ONE has
ever made this claim before. Diesel engines are a hobby with me and believe
me I have talked to many diesel mechanics and have personally seen many big
engines torn down for overhaul with 600,000 miles + and not one ever had
this claim. All large truck stops who offer oil changes use Rotella
expressly and is common to every trucker and there are thousands upon
thousands of them out there who have never made this claim before. This is
certainly the first time I have ever heard of it!! The local Peterbilt
dealer once told me that if an engine fails at 500,000 miles, the trucker
wants an investigation as to why it did. The life expectancy is much longer
and they all pretty much use Rotella. I have seen trucks with 1 million
miles and still running cargo. When talking to a real diesel mechanic, the
subject of oil always comes along and if not Rotella, what else is there for
1,000,000 miles???

Julian Burke