Re: [MV] Air Compressor Q #3

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 08:17:10 PST

I agree with Steve. A single stage even two cylinder model is only good for
around 120-130 Lbs. of compressed air. To go above that level of pressure
usually just winds up blowing head gaskets and burning out motors. A friend
of mine in Penacook, NH operates a repair shop at his home and when I first
visited he had a single stage two cylinder 5 HP air compressor. When I
inquired about it he admitted it had burned out two motors and was on it's
third one. I suggested he replace it with a two stage 5 HP compressor and
explained that the two stage could pump air to a higher pressure which
would allow it to supply air cheaper in operating costs due to less operation.

         A single stage two cylinder compressor ...both cylinders pump the
same pressure to the storage tank and are the same bore and stroke. Most
single stage compressors run 120-130 shut off to 90-100 start up.

         A two stage compressor has two cylinders of differing sizes, the
cylinder with the air filter is the low pressure side and feeds compressed
air to the high pressure side where it is compressed higher to the air
storage tank generally around 175 PSI at which point the pressure switch
cuts off the power to the motor. Most two stage compressors generally cut
in (start up) about 140-150 PSI.

Jim

At 03:53 PM 1/11/2004, Stephen & Jeanne Keith wrote:
>Go for the 2 stage.
>
>Trust me
>
>Steve AKA Dr Deuce

James Shanks