Re: [MV] Shop Building recommendations

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 08:30:36 PST

Congrats Ron on the OK to go further in Debt!! I would recommend a mobile
home oil fired forced hot air furnace for a number of reasons.
1. Air plenum is at floor level so floor will stay dry and warm in winter.
Talk to LARGE trailer parks to see what they have for good takeout furnaces
for short or no money.

2. A wood stove is a requirement in a proper corner to heat coffee,
snacks, burgers or other goodies on. And gives you somewhere to get rid of
surplus boxes, crates, etc.. Carry a small chain saw with you when out in
the Deuce. It IS running..................RIGHT? Quite often you will spot
when gallivanting all over creation trees cut/fallen down on the edge of
the road by utility crews or mother nature and you can generally get the
wood for the taking.

Best of luck and I will keep my eye open for you in my travels.

Jim

At 04:08 PM 1/11/2004, Ron wrote:
> Saint Deborah has given permission for the purchase of a BIG shop/garage
>building- 40'x60' or so, two story, for storage and hiding of my collection
>(M35A2, M1010, M715, 4 M38A1s, 2 M116 trailers, 2 M101CDN trailers and an
>M105 trailer, plus parts and stuff). Oh yeah, her car is supposed to go in
>there too so she doesn't need to scrape the windshield in the morning.
> This led to investigation of the purchase of new dwelling over the
>border in New Hampshire with an existing 38'x60' wooden building that met
>the specs (with a 600 amp single phase service!), but the owner had cut half
>of the second floor out with a chain saw and added a 15 foot door so he
>could back his tractor and semi trailer inside. Unfortunately, it is not a
>metal framed building so it's structural integrity is now toast. Plus she
>didn't care for the mods the owner had pulled on the house. Unconventional
>to say the least. He don't need no stinking building permits!
> But we are continuing the search for a new dwelling with land that I can
>put the BIG building on and/or has an existing barn/garage already on it.
>She realizes we could fit a 40'x60' on our existing lot, but we won't be
>talking to our neighbors any more afterward.
> So, I am sure a few of you have traveled the big building road before
>and can offer some recommendations. This needs to be semi attractive (at
>least so far) to the neighbors. So how about sources for buildings you have
>purchased to fill the need?
> I will want to heat a part of it for shop use year round, the rest would
>be unheated. What is the preferred method of heating for the shop part:
>Gas/hot air, gas/infra red, salamanders or oil fired/hot air? Southern New
>Hampshire area, so it WILL get cold.
> Minimum electrical specs you folks feel is necessary or would be nice?
> What about the concrete floor? How thick is recommended? How deep should
>the soil prep be ( compaction, minimum gravel depth under slab)?
> How about service lifts for the lighter vehicles?
> Should the job be farmed out to an architect, or the building
>manufacturer or a regular contractor?
> Any books or online articles covering these types of things you have
>come across?
>
> Questions, questions.....
> Any help would be appreciated, off list replies are fine.
>
> TIA, Ron

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
1998 IMZ 8.103