Re: [MV] quite possibly have a serious problem with my 6.2L.... a long story

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 04:15:27 PST

Well, the gear drive set rules out the broken timing chain, and probably the busted teeth on the timing gears. If the air bursts are relatively steady, then I might lean toward my original suggestion about the keyway being sheared. While this does not directly explain the oil seepage, it is possible that continued cranking will cause enough compression build up (in the cylinders that have closed valves) to leak past the rings and pressurize the crankcase, although the breather should let it out. Does your engine have the newer oil filler cap? If not, and condensation caused a build-up of ice that clogged the breather tube, then the compression cannot vent. I kind of doubt this, though.

Does the engine crank like it actually has some compression on all cylinders, or only 1 or 2? If the cam is not turning, then the air will escape through the intake on any cylinder with an intake or exhaust valve left partially open, and the engine will spin very freely. Unfortunately, you will probably have to pull it apart to some degree for investigation, at the very least....