Re: [MV] Cost of Transport from Hawaii to KS

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 10:04:35 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Witold Grzymala-Busse" <wbusse@ips-networking.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 9:09 AM
Subject: [MV] Cost of Transport from Hawaii to KS

> Here is the breakdown of the costs involved with shipping a truck
(M-923A1)
> to Lawrence, KS
>
> $3200 for towing company to laod truck on flat rack and deliver to port
> (Major rip off!) - Affordable Towing out of Aiea HI

"Affordable Towing"? $3200 bucks? Well, if you can't get him for
extortion, I suppose you could try "False Advertising". That amount is
obscene to a degree I wouldn't have thought possible. Hell, he could drag
the thing around the Big Island for a month on dollies and still have a
thousand bucks left on the meter if he were anything like "Affordable".

> $2800 for Horizons to ship form Hawaii to Oakland - Horizons Lines
> $1550 for truck transport from Oakland to KS. - Kemna Trucking

Hm. That's a lot better than I imagined.

> P.S. The rust problem on my truck is not as bad as you might think, but
> will have to replace couple pieces of sheet metal like the Windshield
frame.

Rotted along the top? That's where the film company's one is gone. Every
now and then new sheet metal for them shows up on GL sales. A complete NOS
front bulkhead/grille assembly came out of Ft. Lewis in November, and
someone I know picked up a new hood complete with insulation somewhere too.
I remember seeing windshield frames around a couple of years ago at some
local sale, but didn't give them a second look at the time because they were
too wide for our M35/M54/M809 trucks.

When we had our M925 shipped via truck, we also had to reduce the height,
and as we were telling the trucking firm and yard boys how to accomplish it
via telephone from Vancouver, we never got to see how they made out until we
offloaded the thing here at home. We told them they had to fold down the
windshield and remove the exhaust stack, and while they folded down the
windshield admirably enough - they torched off the exhaust stack right above
the damn clamp! I mean, even if you couldn't undo the clamp bolt, wouldn't
most normal, sane human beings spend half a second torching the friggin'
bolt rather than blowing all the way around a 4" piece of pipe? Jeez. I bet
their mothers still spoonfeed them. :)