Late 50's Army movie

From: Ron (rojoha@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 11:02:16 PST

A 25 minute or so movie by the Army detailing the Nike Hercules system
similar to what you would have seen on the "Big Picture" (seen in Boston, MA
on one of the THREE TV channels on Saturday mornings at 0600 around 1960 or
so as I recall, being 7 or so then) can be found at the following link.

http://www.redstone.army.mil/history/asf/nike_herc_01.asf

    File is .asf, but you can right click on the link and 'save target
as...' and download it if you have a fast connection. I have Comcast and it
took about 3 minutes, more enjoyable playback, plus you can take it to your
next club meeting and reminisce about OG uniforms with whit nametags and
yellow US ARMY on black tapes and Ridgeway hats etc.
    It was made sometime prior to 1958 since the seal states "United
States of America War Office" which was changed to DoD thereafter. Spiffy
crew cut Bow tied Western Electric and Douglas Aircraft engineers and a
brief sequence of M135's towing various system trailers and an M series
hydraulic crane in action plus the old feel good black and white TV
narration and leave it to beaver type background music.

    I found the link at http://www.nikemissile.org/index.html

    which is worth a visit.

    Enjoy, Ron