Re: [MV] Rt-524 radio wanted

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 14:45:29 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <rcb.com@att.net>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 1:16 PM
Subject: [MV] Rt-524 radio wanted

> MVers:
> Anyone have an RT-524 radio for sale in any condition ????

There are tons around at the moment. Usually two a week on Ebay for good
prices (a nice looking one up right now for $399), plus dealers like Mike
Murphy (www.murphyjunk.com) and Fair Radio and other dealers have them
anywhere from $250.00 through $600.00. You'll have to shop around. Prices
have crashed in the last five-six years, but if you want a checked, good,
known working unit, expect to pay a little more towards the steep side of
the spectrum. I did note one guy had checked ones for $250.00 not too long
ago, but I've forgotten his site URL.

Actually, I think Steve Haney on the list here has some for sale, and I've
found his prices in general to be very reasonable. I've purchased a couple
of the demil'd sets on Ebay recently and found them absolutely beautiful
less the A2000 module, transmitter tube and bits and pieces of missing
shielding - but once those bits are replaced, the radios are perfect. I
know others whose mileage varied, but can only relate my own experiences. I
recently got one off Ebay for all of $105.00, and all that was wrong with it
was an intermittent A3700 and a cold solder joint on the LS-445 front panel
speaker. Not too long ago I was buying total dogs for people from swapmeets
and the like for $450.00 (which was a deal at the time), so I don't think
you can go wrong nowadays. They're nice sets provided some care is taken
not to get one full of defective components that someone's cobbled together
"to clean out my parts drawer" or whatever. Then troubleshooting is,
um...fun.