Re: [MV] Q: Chemical dipping for MV and M151 A2 Bodies?

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 21:04:36 PST

I agree with Joe, "What makes you think they were painted in the first place?"
I would never use a chemical dip after I saw what it did to a friends 1959 MGA many years ago.
I had my MUTT grit blasted at a truck body repair shop for $250 and that included EVERYTHING;
hood,seats, bat. box cover, wheels, etc. I think that it was the best money I ever spent and it was
done in 3 days! Take a look at:
http://webs.lanset.com/buzz/muttrest5.html
The reason that they rusted in the first place was there were no holes to let the trapped water out.
Before I painted my MUTT I drilled 1/2" drain holes in ALL the channels.
Here's a link to rust proofing the MUTT
http://www.olive-drab.com/images/od_m151_rustdoc.pdf

Buzz