Re: [MV] Q: Chemical dipping for MV and M151 A2 Bodies?

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 18:15:54 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael S. Nichols" <msnichols@mindspring.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 5:52 PM
Subject: [MV] Q: Chemical dipping for MV and M151 A2 Bodies?

> Hello from Atlanta GA 30306. I have checked into having my M151
chemically
> dipped to dissolve all rust before I do the body panel replacement. Price
> runs $1.40 per lb. Any folks out there have good or bad results with the
> dipping process? Is the rust really forever gone? Any special prep
req'd.
> for painting?

I wouldn't ever use the dipping process on a unibody vehicle, the chief
reason being once the chemical dissolves all the paint, primer and
protective coating inside the channels and bits of subframe, you'll never be
able to paint in there again unless you break all the tack welds, paint it
up the interior, and reweld the works. The 151 has many such inaccessible
channels (never mind the central load bearing ones running the length of the
vehicle), and chemically dissolving the coatings resident within those
channels is really a Bad Idea. IMO anyway. Some have said "oh, you just
drill yourself a few holes and spray fifty gallons of rustproofing or
injection-mold sponge in there" after the dipping/neutralizing,
but...heh...I certainly wouldn't do it to my unibody vehicles.

(I've also heard the 'leaching' horror stories everyone else has where the
neutralizing solution..um...'didn't'...but I think your chief worry is the
one in the parapraph above.)