Re: [MV] M35 transmission question

From: John Stewart-Smith (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 12:08:48 PST

I have removed and replaced several 'in the field' and also had my personal
M35 tranny in and out several times.
1) Disconnect clutch linkage from bellhousing.
2) Remove driveshaft between tranny and transfer case. It's tight and messy,
but it will come all the way out.
3) Disconnect rear of front driveshaft and move it to the side.
4) Roll down both side windows.
5) Remove shifter.
6) Remove tranny tunnel cover.
7) Lay a 4x4 or 6x6 block of wood across both closed doors.
8) Attach a chain hoist (very cheap to buy) around the 4x4 and bolt it to 4
bolts on the tranny cover. Use 4 extra long bolts.
9) Take up the slack, unbolt the bellhousing.
10) Wiggle the tranny rearwards until it is completely disengaged.
11) Lower onto a small sheet of plywood.
12) Roll it sideways and drag it out.

Installation is the reverse procedure, except you will need a clutch
alignment tool if you also remove the pressure plate.
I made a clutch alignment tool using a 75 cent 1" pipe from Home Depot and a
grinder.
I would never contradict Joe Young, but I'm sure that he has hoists, good
tools and all kinds of equipment that I don't have.
-Sarge