Re: [MV] M35 transmission question - follow up question

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 13:35:29 PST

At 1:23 PM -0800 1/21/04, Horrocks, Aaron wrote:
>I've been told by some crusty 'old mechanics to use saw dust... Mix
>it in the oil for a rear differential or an old clunky manual
>transmission. While the noise reduction is significant, I would
>think that it wouldn't be too good for the gears, and darn near
>really bad for the bearings!

Hmm, depending on the species of tree it may not be abrasive or
harmful to the metallurgy. Now, it could clog things. But if there's
no pump....what exactly would it do? Get into bearings and reduce
tolerances in an abrupt manner (say a clump of fibers in the way of a
ball bearing in the race?).

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -