Re: [MV] Need help to remove rear drum on early CCKW

From: william f cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 20:05:47 PST

I would try to back-off the brake shoes with the adjusters as far as
possible. Had that problem with my DUKW and retraccting the shoes
released the drum/hub. There was a small lip on the outer edge of the
drum caused by brake wear and once I got the shoes retracted enough to
clear the ridge the drums came right off with very little effort.

Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Vietnam 1966
'45 GMC 353 DUKW
'66 M35A2 w/w
'68 M105A1

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:29:46 -0500 DUCAOSD62@aol.com writes:
> I have a 1941 CCKW truck being restored and canīt get the rear drum
> off. Have removed the shaft and adjusting nuts and bearing cone, but
> the hub and drum does not come out. I know that there is a inner
> seal and a oil slinger that should be holding the hub, but have no
> idea on how to get to them.
> Should I hammer the stud in? If yes how can I put it back again?
>
> Thanks for help
> Ducatti

> <mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>

Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)