M35 removing/replacing a tranny

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 11:06:37 PST

With all the discussion about how to do it I figured I
would pass on my recent experience.

1. First I removed all linkages, shrouds and the
driveshafts that were in the way.

2. Then I called a friend who I could trust wouldn't
make the project go worse.

3. I ran two 4x4's from front to back in the cab.
This allowed me to work from the sides with the doors
open.

4. Took out four of the bolts holding the top cover on
the tranny and replaced with good industrial eye
bolts. (one on each corner)

5. Then used four medium duty ratchet straps to take
the tension off the tranny and pulled it out from the
motor.

6. The ratchet straps worked good because each corner
was supported and was independent for easy adjustment.

7. I concur with setting the tranny on a board and
sliding it out.

8. Just the two of us lifted my tranny up onto a
workbench using the eye bolts and two straps with a
bar going through making a sort of sling.

9. Replacement was the opposite of removal except I
had one more friend to help line up the tranny-this
was not easy, but it isn't that bad with a little
care.

My conclusion

Don't over analyze it, it's not too difficult, and
unless your motor is in need of repairs better done
outside the truck I wouldn't even consider pulling the
whole thing.

Good Luck

Marc