Air operated 3rd axle disconnect for 6x6?

From: Grant Stockly (grant@stockly.com)
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 19:31:43 PST

I've been thinking about methods of disconnecting the rear axle in an M35
and being able to reconnect it at any second.

I have an interesting collection of parts here that just might work out. I
have a ARB air operated locking differential for a Dana44 axle. I also
have two short side axle stubs with some U-joint ears on them. I also have
the differential chunk from a TTB bronco 44 (no tubes, only one side has a
shaft bearing.)

The idea is to throw the ARB into the differential with no ring or pinion
gears. Trim down the housing (like the pinion beak) and add a shaft
bearing to the side of the diff without a bearing. Whack the yokes off the
short shafts, turn them down, and weld some 1410 round bore yokes onto them.

This will transfer absolutely no power to the rear axle when its
unlocked. The spider gears will just play around in the case and "absorb"
the tiny differences in axle speeds. The second you need the rear axle,
apply air pressure and a pancake type ram locks the spider gears together
making both axle shafts like one.

Does something like that sound interesting? I have no doubts about the D44
ARB handling the driveline torque. Speed may be an issue, I'll have to
look into that. Its possible that the design of the ARB will allow it to
lock the shafts without spider gears.

Thinking about getting an M35. I hate the idea of driving 300 miles on
asphalt with 4000lbs in the back having my rear tires chew themselves up. ;)

Grant