Re: [MV] Noise level of a diesel k60 engine

From: Robert Soar (billy_ruffian@fireflyuk.net)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 08:22:45 PST

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 09:39:19 -0500, My email <jonwatters@cox.net> wrote:

> Hi, I have a question on the noise level of a certain k60 diesel engine
> made by rolls royce
> used by britih military APC like the FV432. I was just looking over the
> possibilities of making one street legal.

I'll ask my two FV-432 owning friends when I next see them though it's not
a problem we have here in the UK. Generally sound deadening in a vehicle
involves quietening the exhaust, preventing panels vibratingand,
presumably stopping sound being reflected around and out of an engine
compartment

> Rhode Island law states that a motor vehicle cannot exceed 86 decibels
> at 50
> feet. And I was just curious on your opinions on if you think I can
> obtain
> this with a 15 ton APC like the fv 432 mk2. Can you modify an engine to
> run
> quieter?

The engine may not be the problem. Depends what frerquencies your
legislators measure. One of the reasons that two strke engine vehicles are
less welcome on out local green lanes is that the frequency of the engine
is more noticeable at a given volume than the low speed burble of a Land
Rover. Don't forget you have transmission and track noise to consider too.
My Ferret is relatively quiet engine wise but the combined noise of
gearbox, transfer box 6 bevel boxes and 4 epicyclic hubs makes it a fairly
noisy (and distinctive) beast.
Regards, Rob