Re: [MV] radio export

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 15:16:22 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Harris" <papercu@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 12:45 PM
Subject: [MV] radio export

> There is a list member in Great Britain that's asking about the RT 256
Radio
> I have on ebay.

RT-246, I would think. :)

>According to their Postal regs. "Citizens Band Radios,
> walkie-talkies, microbugs, and radio microphones that are capable of
> transmitting on any frequency between 26.1 and 29.7 megacycles per second
> and 88 to 108 Mhz per second." is in the Prohibition list. The info I have
> on the radio is " This radio operates over 30 to 75.95 MHz FM in 50 KHz".
> Is this Radio in the prohibition frequency and does the U.S. have any
> restriction on shipping surplus radios to Great Britain or does anyone
know
> of a site that would tell me. I did a Google search and didn't turn up any
> info I could use. TIA Wayne

I think you might be confused because you might not know "megacyles per
second" = mHz/megahertz. Just guessing. It confounded my ex-military
neighbour for years too.

You're outside the exclusion. 88 to 108 mHz is the FM Broadcast band, and
you're well below that (as you only go up to 75.95), and above it in the
other direction (the exclusion is 29.7 mHz - the 246 doesn't start until
30.00 mHz.) I haven't sent any radios to Britain lately, but if I ship out
of Canada I always use surface mail if possible, and write something very
generic on the declaration form like "vintage amateur radio". The "vintage"
part will make Customs officers realize it was manufactured before most of
the 'rules' were around; the 'amateur' lets on that the radio (if operable)
is destined for amateur use and not commercial, and the 'radio' is accurate
but non-descript in case they get worked up over "transmitter" or
"transceiver".

For example, if I FedEx a PRC-25 to the 'States, I get to fill out a
Commercial Invoice, an FDA Emissions form and an FCC Compliance Form, plus
it gets held up at the Broker for a week while they make fifteen photocopies
and question everything. If I put in the Mail, I fill out two lines and
"Made in USA" on the Postal Sticker and hear no more about it. And it's
cheaper.

Most bidders I've had from Britain and elsewhere won't pay to have things
shipped over there because they have no idea how much it can cost even via
the "most economical means". You might want to make sure that's all ironed
out with your bidder first. I wouldn't mention it but with me it's come up
*a lot*.