Re: [MV] M1009 started problem - my story (All MV content!)

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 17:54:09 PST

Hey,

I saw this post, and thought I would throw in my expiernce, which has been
hell to say the least. I bought my M1009, and about a week later the starter
made a grinding noise. The next attempt, started fine. About a week later,
it was more common. Looked under the truck, and the passenger side, or the
side away from the engine, bolt was gone. It was so dark, I didn't see the
bolt up there broken off. Tried a bolt, didn't work. Took it home, took the
old bolt out with a screwdriver which worked great. Tried to put the correct
starter bolt in, and it got hard, and when it stopped, I took it out, and it
brought a heli-coil with it. I put a 3/8ths heli-coil in it, and a 3/8ths
bolt washered out. It worked for a while, then would only grind and not
start. I got a replacement take-out starter, bolted it in, and it worked,
only ground about twice a month. About 2 weeks ago I was on the ferry and it
WOULD NOT start. I took it to the mechanic, had him re-do the heli-coil to
the correct metric size, which was a mess. He did an awesome job,
considering what he had to deal with, which was cr*ppy job someone did
before him. Well we figured out the flywheel/flexplate was jacked, ground
up. We tried to get it started to get it on the ferry to get it to the
tranny shop for a new flexplate. Well we tried for 6 hours, and didn't get
it started for the 3 different ferry sailings we were shooting for. Tried to
get a car dolly, too wide for the M1009. Well we ended up going offisland
that afternoon, buying a new flexplate ($95), and a new autolite 12v starter
($190) (The old starter blew itself apart from all the grinding). Now I know
what your all saying, a CUCV is 24 volt. Well I was sick of looking and or
paying for a 24v starter, so I got the 12v one. I am as much hardcore as
most people about trying to keep everything mil, but this was something I
just had to do. Went home, slept, woke up at 2200 and until 0200 we worked
on it, and 0200 we had the transfer and tranny out. We used one jack under
the transfer, one under the tranny, and an engine hoist supporting the rear
of the engine. We took off the old flexplate, and called it a night.
Saturday night me and a friend got the torque specs, and started at 2230
again. Got the flexplate, bolted it up, and got the tranny/transfer in
again. It was rather easy, considering we had 3 jacks to adjust how the
engine and transfer/tranny sat, so lining up was not a big deal. We had
everything except the flexplate cover and the front driveline in by 0330.
When we were putting the new starter in, we snapped a start bolt, we
accidently had grabbed an old one, and it ate it when we tried to torque it
in. Again, took it out with a screwdriver, we were so fustrated, especially
at 0330. When we tried to start it, no go. It ended up being that the
battery voltage was so low from all the cranking, that it wasn't opening the
fuel solinoid on the IP, so no fuel coming in. We suspect that at least.
After a lot of cranking, and jumping with a M35A2, it fired off. How I wired
it was kept the existing solinoid wire, put a new wire in, and a red button
in the dash where the radio would go. Took the big red wire from the 24v
block and put it on the 12v battery. If the next owner wants, they can
covert it back, but it works GREAT as is, turn the key, and push the red
button. It sounds so awesome, starts every time, and no noise. The job
totaled out at 9 hours, and $330. Not bad, I am glad I did it because now I
have a working truck that doesn't sound like its going to blow starter parts
to mexico when I try and start it. Well at least I know how to do that job
now. Moral of the story: Get a good starter, make sure your flexplate is in
good condition, and aligned right. I will re-iterate what evryone else has
said, THE REAR BRACKET IS VERY IMPORTANT! MAKE SURE ITS THERE AND BOLTED
TIGHT. So there is my story, if anyone has any questions feel free to email
me.

Caleb Pal

Military Vehicles I regularly drive or own:

1952 GMC XM211 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck W/Winch (Mine)

1952 GMC M135 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck (Mine)

1984 M1009 "CUCV" 3/4 Ton Multi-Purpose Vehicle (Mine)

1986 M1008 "CUCV" 1 1/4 Ton Truck (FD)

1971 M35A2 AMG 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck (FD)

1954 M107A2 400 Gallon Water Buffalo (FD)

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute,
or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or