Re: [MV] Semi Related 'oops' photos

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 11:15:52 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Gill" <rmgill@mindspring.com>
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Semi Related 'oops' photos

> Looks like a Tornado. Probaby German.

The Germans certainly have their inclever moments (but don't we all?) One
of them was taxiing out at CFB Cold Lake during ex "Maple Flag" while
drumming his fingers merrily on the side of the plane as he hit the 'cockpit
close' button, and promptly lost those fingers as the cockpit sealed. And
another desk jockey is born.

Another good 'oops' I saw the aftermath of was at Paine Field Airshow years
ago. Canada landed its contribution to the airshow the day before and
parked it safely out of harm's way far across the tarmac (Grumman Tracker, I
think - been awhile.) Well, later on, the Americans landed either a C-5 or
a C-141, and, as it turned to head towards its assigned position, sent a
dumpster scooting across the pavement at lightspeed thanks to the jetwash
which promptly clobbered the Canadian plane. Now, remember that this is
*before* the airshow, so the Canadian crew has to call Ottawa to get
Should-I-Stay-or-Should-I-Go? instructions.

Ottawa deems the plane flyable based on the description of the damage, and
orders only the bare minimum crew stay behind to effect repairs and fly it
home. At the end of the airshow. Being clever fellows armed with the Red
Green All Purpose Repair Kit, they set to work, and soon have the damaged
part of the wing pod very aerodynamically lacquered with about sixteen
layers of grey duct-tape; just in time for the throngs of airshow patrons,
already stoked on stories of bandaged and baling-wired Sea Kings falling
from the sky, to see as the sole representative of Canada's mighty Air
Force. I imagine the crew got sick of the guffaws and the WalMart
duct-tape Care Packages by about, oh...opening time at the Officer's
Mess...but they made it home okay afterwards with another story for their
own mess, so what the heck. :)