M35 sprag front axle, Working or Not?

From: frey2@eng.usf.edu
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 13:31:20 PST

from reesearching the past post archives ive come to deduce that on non air type
transfer cases, the sprag type, only engage when the rear tires spin 8-10%
faster than the front. So in order to get the front axle to 'lock in' the rear
tires have to be spinning. I suspect that my sprag unit is either frozen up or
just gone bad in general, how can i determine whether or not it is working. i
dont want to go off roading to see, at the risk of getting stuck, and droppin
the xfer case to check looks to be a big ordeal. Any field tests i can use to
solve the matter?
                  -Nic