Re: [MV] Testing the deuce in the snow - red faces in UK too!

From: Nigel Hay (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 10:27:57 PST

This reminds me of the time back in the 1980s when we were I think going to
Arnhem or Hells Highway with a group of WW2 vehicles. We arrived in Dover
docks to cross the English channel to find it absolutley full of her
Majesties army who were shipping over for (I think it was Operation
Reforger) a massive nato exercise. We duly boarded blissfully unaware that
the TV coverage on local and national news, we would later hear from our
families, in fact we later managed to get a copy of it on videotape, would
be something like this.......

"........thousands of British troops were joined by US Forces in Dover Docks
today depart for Natos biggest exercise for years........." cut to our group
of Harleys, Jeeps Dodges and GMC's including the late Dick Davidson in the
legendary "Slaughterhouse Five" with his cab roof mounted and illuminated
Michelin Man and half a dozen "Paras" in British Airborne jeeps (- hardy
souls travelling with no tilts or windscreens).

Makes you wonder how dumb some newsmen really are. Hopefully Lizzie
Windsor's finest troops realised we were just enthusiasts.
NIGE