Re: [MV] mounting tags/vintage plates

From: Jon Shoop (shoop19@brick.net)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 05:28:26 PST

Your local dealer service company can sell you these magnetic frames. The
work great and are legal for temporary use by dealers. Around $20 or less. I
plate my duce with one with the plate on the mudflap, when parked, I put it
under the left rear, under the bed where it can't be seen.......

Most states require that your plate be illuminated when installed on the
rear. That is not a problem on vintage or antique plate vehicles as in
Missouri, the DOT and Police don't seem to care and leave you alone. Because
we are not subject to safety inspection, nor do we have to comply with items
like wipers, turn signals etc.

Interesting to note that the enforcement branch of the DOT had some
interesting things to say to me once. I have a 9 ton tag float trailer and
combined with the towed item, the weight threw me into a class A CDL....I
asked about it and was asked in return, the plate status of the towing
vehicle....when told it was antique....they said they had no interest in
that combo as plated...I was ok to drive, tow anything!

What a country!

Jon